Friday, February 15, 2013

How deep the Father's love for us....

The Valentines I made for the kiddos this year:)
 
Truth be told... last year I didn't get them done and it was the first thing they looked for in the morning and I heard about it for days.  I intended to still get them done last year and it never happened so I was determined, even if I had to stay up LATE to get it done.  It was fun to see the kids, even the oldest boys lingering over all I had written on their valentines.  :) 
 
 
Right away Valentine's Day morning I saw on facebook how much a single friend of mind dislikes Valentine's Day... makes total sense to me... after that I couldn't help but notice all the photos of the flowers friends had gotten from their Valentines or the amazing gifts...even a trip to Europe...
 
My, how social media can be like a sickness of just putting all the "PERFECT" parts of your life out there for all to admire... When deep down we are ALL so FAR from perfect...
 
Someday I just want to post the reality of life in a nutshell... baby pooped out of clothes, one spilled an entire container of juice out, older 2 are bickering over ridiculous things, so and so just said a mean hurtful thing to so and so... I love my kids and they are really wonderful... but I am just keeping it real! 
 
 
So my heart was pricked for the hurting on Valentines day.  I have a super special friend from my homeschool coop, whose father just totally and unexpectedly passed away last week. (She has been such a sweet sweet friend... the minute she heard about Samuel she wanted to know more... and is never afraid to ask me the questions most don't dare to ask me... and I LOVE her for it... I need to share all those parts of my story and I have ALWAYS loved that she is so ready to hear it all!:)  Anyways, Greg did her dad's graveside service on Valentine's Day. 
 
It was a beautiful day, perfect weather to remember this man who loved the outdoors so much!  The thing is, I never got to meet her dad... but because I love her... I couldn't help but fall in love with him after hearing stories of him from her this past week.  Because he was her dad, she became all that she is today that makes her so precious to me...   My heart hurts with her as I know how much she is going to miss him...
 
I am once again struck by how thankful I am for Heaven.  I know when you first lose someone you love and hold so dearly that Heaven feels sooooo far away... entirely too far.  ( I remember lots of people trying to comfort me by reminding me of the Hope I had in Heaven after Samuel died... while I knew it was true... and this might sound bad, but in those early moments... I was just adjusting to the fact that he wouldn't be here to grow up with us... I was trying to deal with the physical affects of giving birth to a dead baby... and it did not bring me comfort then... I just wanted HIM... my baby Samuel...
 
But now, 4 1/2 years later... my perspective is so different...  while I still miss him and long for him... I sooooooo look forward to Heaven and the Joyful reunion it will be.  And that brings my heart great comfort!  I am so thankful for the gift of Jesus and that because of what He did and my belief in Him, I can have that free gift of eternity! 
 
As we embark on this lenten journey, the 40 days before Easter, the kids and I have been doing a lot of talking about Jesus' sacrifice and what we can give up or add to life.  I want to live with eternity in mind everyday.  Knowing the brevity of life first hand in our own family and seeing the frailty of life up close and personal in Africa has eternity on my mind more than ever and I love that...
 
Sin, death, grief, sorrow, my own selfishness, American selfishness, all have me seeing my need for a Savior more and more each day.  How deep the Father's Love for us that He would send His son to redeem and restore us... 
 
 Seeing that need more and more with each passing day...
 
So very thankful that He sees my need and forgives me over and over again...
 
He is so good...
 
So faithful...

So able...
 
 
 


No comments: