Thursday, March 27, 2014

Almost 17???



How can this young man, my son, be almost 17...

Goodness ,that makes me old:) 

There are some days, I just wish I could be his mom and not his mom and his teacher... But I am so very thankful for the wonderful opportunity to teach my son, daily share our family values, and experience all that he has grown up into being in the last 17 years... It has been a joy and treasure for me to be able to spend all of that extra time with him over the years... such a gift to me...

Pregnancy never came easy for us... I wondered... will this ever happen for us... Louis was such an answer to prayers for us...

And now... even as he thinks, wonders and plans all that he wants to do in the coming years... (today when I went into his room, he let me know he would love to be a mattress tester... he loves his bed...funny kid...  this of course, just days after him reiterating how much he wants to be a missionary to Uganda someday... ) Obviously, the mattress tester idea was just a joke... and really he is a funny kid... there are days I just want to clobber him because he will be joking during school... I just want him to be focused, but he is so funny, I can't help but be distracted and laugh... He adds joy to my days:)   God gave him a good sense of humor:)

Truly though, I so often pray that God makes it abundantly clear what HIS plans are for Louis... 

I see God molding and making him into HIS precious work day after day... I can't wait to see the finished product, although I know we are all a work in progress... always growing, learning, changing... hopefully becoming more of who God intends us to be, all the time... So I guess, I can't wait to see the finished product when he leaves the nest of our home... but there is a part of me that doesn't even want to think about that... This growing up thing, happens WAY too quickly for me!!

Just last week, he was asked to do the Children's message at church for 2 of the services... a task usually taken on by the Children's minister or Elementary school teachers... kind of a big task for a 16 year old kid...  We are not a small church by any means and he was a bit nervous... but he did great!  He also was a part of the human video that Greg used for his message in all 4 services.  I am so thankful for the kind heart that the Lord has given him and the willingness he has to serve at church... I am so grateful and in awe of who God is making him to be... 

Is he perfect... by no means... (and sometimes I hate to admit I focus on those imperfections more than I should)  neither am I... but I am so very grateful that God gave him on loan to Greg and I... 
He is a treasure and gift from God...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I could've written this myself about my 16-year-old. I totally get what you mean about Some day's just wanted to be is mom and not his teacher, but then I think of all I would've missed out on had I not been his teacher. We are truly blessed with good boys. And yes approaching 17 makes me feel old too:) love the pic of the two of you!

Anonymous said...

He actually can test mattresses for safety at UL. (No joke) - Jenn