Monday, November 3, 2014

Letting go... it's not easy...

So Friday, I dropped off the older boys at the airport in horrendous wind... like the kind that planes shouldn't take off in  (in my humble opinion) to head out to Arizona to surprise a friend for his birthday:) He didn't know they were coming till they showed up cheering him on at his last football game of the season...



Louis, loving on the youngest kiddo in the Thompson crew...

Sweet friends that have served on the mission field in Uganda and have forged quite the bond in the last year...

I am so proud of them all...


Letting go... It definitely doesn't come naturally to me..

I am so thankful for every second that I have been able to be with them while growing up... even now thankful for every second of torturous chemistry that we share together.  But in all truthfulness, I would not change it for anything... and it has flown by... all too quickly...

In my head, it seems like truthfully Louis should be about 10 and Caleb 8... where have the last 7 years gone?  

My boys are not boys at all anymore... they are young men... That age from 12-14... they morph into manhood right before your very eyes... 

Long before that, the letting go begins... and bit by bit you give more length to those apron strings...
It is hard, even painful at times... (or at least it is for me... it just doesn't come naturally)

But I am seeing more and more that there are times that they need to be referred to dad for discussions for that training in man hood... I couldn't do it if I tried... and he will do a WAY better job! 

I am seeing more and more our conversations changing as they consider more important decisions, more important ideas and dreams... 

It is terrifying... It is beautiful... all wrapped up into one...

I pray every step of the way that God will guide them, His holy spirit will convict them when needed and that they will passionately serve their Savior with reckless abandon... That really is all that matters... 

And whether that means here in my back yard working for the church or taking care of orphans on the other side of the world... slowly but surely I will keep loosening up those strings till they aren't attached at all anymore... Till those boys turned men will soar into the plans the Lord had for them all along... 

And... their dad and I... and 5 other little people will be cheering them on every step of the way!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY understand what you're saying, Sara. We are crossing that bridge with Isaiah now as well, and it sure isn't easy:)!

Much love,
Heather